9 Places to Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
According to the International Dairy Foods Association, in 1984, President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day. There's a proclamation and everything, so really, you have to eat ice cream this month.
I'm sure you've noticed, it's REALLY hot. So, here are nine places you can cool down on a hot day. Also, I love ice cream, but I can't forget about its cousins, frozen yogurt and custard.
1. Berens Frozen Custard. This stop was recently named best ice cream in Atlanta by the AJC. At Berens, you'll find everything from shakes and cones to concretes and floats. They feature a "flavor of the day," and they've come up with some pretty outstanding combinations. Try black raspberry chocolate chip, lavender honey or pineapple pistachio.
2. 8℉. Another AJC nominee, Fahrenheit is the perfect stop to try rolled ice cream. Try Thai tea with peach or original flavor with Nutella and graham cracker.
3. Kremo. Ice cream rolls are the new fad, and Kremo makes some great ones. Watch them chop and roll gourmet ice cream in flavors like toasted coconut and New York cheesecake.
4. The Chocolaterie. If you're looking some unique flavors, visit The Chocolaterie in downtown Duluth. You'll find flavors like pistachio cherry and lavender. You should probably order some of their amazing chocolate truffles to go with your ice cream, too.
5. Rita's. At Rita's, you can order Italian ice, cream ice or frozen custard. Try a blendini, Italian ice combined with frozen custard and your favorite toppings, like peanut butter cups.
6. Daddy O'Brien's. Over in Sugar Hill where everything is sweet, you'll find Daddy O'Brien's. They've got family-friendly flavors, like butter beer and caramel crunch. They've also got some adult flavors, like Bailey's toasted marshmallow and cherry amaretto.
7. Swirlz Yogurt Bar. I love building my own meal. At Swirlz, you get to pick from over 200 flavors of frozen yogurt, and then add whatever toppings you fancy.
8. Black Walnut Cafe. Black Walnut Cafe has an awesome, robust menu. You can finish off your meal with some amazing gelato in flavors like pistachio and tiramisu.
9. Coughman's Creamery. If you like your ice cream between two cookies, head to Coughman's. Grab a milkshake, a slice of cake or one of their other sweet treats.
There are certainly more places that could go on this list, but this should be enough to get you started. Comment below with your favorite ice cream spot, and enjoy National Ice Cream Month!