5 Things to Know Before You go to Galactic Quest
"You only have your thoughts and dreams ahead of you. You are someone. You mean something." — Batman
As different trends and products fade in and out, it seems like we see all kinds of new businesses pop up and close down around town. One thing that's stood the test of time? Comic books.
According to History of Comics, the earliest known comic book is called The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck, and it was originally published in several languages in Europe in 1837. Fast forward almost two centuries, and comic books are still going strong.
While they haven't been around for 200 years (because that'd be crazy), Galactic Quest in downtown Lawrenceville is a staple shop in this historic city. For the last 25 years, they've been the go-to resource for all things comic books and gaming. Why is this store different from any other? Well, I'll give you five reasons right here.
1. All-ages comics and independent publishers. "We're really proud of our all-ages section," said store manager, Jami Jones. Whether your age seven or 97, you'll enjoy these reads. Galactic Quest also has a wide-range of publishers in the store—of course, you'll find your Marvels and DCs, but they also carry Dynamite, Boom! Studios, Oni Press and more than I could list here.
2. Events. The shop participates and puts on all kinds of great events throughout the year, like artist hang out days and Halloween Comic Fest. Galactic Quest takes part in Free Comic Book Day, which is celebrating it's 16th anniversary this year. This is a nation-wide event where comic book specialty shops offer at least one FREE comic to customers. This year's event will take place on Saturday, May 6. Check out this video from 2016. Jami told me, "this year's going to be even bigger and better."
3. Characters and collectibles. If you like collecting Pop! characters, there are plenty of them here. They've also got a ton of action figures and other memorabilia, too.
4. Gaming. Interested in board games? How about role-playing games? If you take a look at Galactic Quest's calendar of events, you'll find all this and more. Enjoy board game night on Wednesday or check out their schedule for things like Magic the Gathering and YuGiOh game nights.
5. Superb service. The folks at Galactic Quest will "bag and board" your comic book for you, a service a lot of stores don't offer. They've also got an incredible, knowledgeable staff who are well-versed in all things involving the comic book world.
I had to ask Jami what her favorite comic book was (I know, I'm cruel). "I like anything with a good story. There's just so much variety and choice now; super hero, post-apocolypse, love, horror," she explained. "When it comes down to it though, I have to say Batman."
Good choice, Jami. Good choice.
Even if you're not really into comic books, I'd still recommend stopping by. There's so much to see, and the staff are so friendly and helpful. I'll definitely be back soon, and I'll bring my husband this time (the real comic connoisseur).