5 Ways to Celebrate Labor Day
You work hard—you deserve a break. Celebrate Labor Day in Gwinnett!
According to the Department of Labor, "Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity and well-being of our country."
Want a Labor Day fun fact? Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was the first to suggest a day to honor America workers.
There's more. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support this. Either way, the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic (thanks, Central Labor Union!).
We're certainly glad the holiday exists and are here to tell you five ways that you can celebrate Labor Day in Gwinnett.
- Kick off the weekend at Norcross Summer Concert Series with A1A, the official and original Jimmy Buffet tribute band. What better way to relax than with a little Trop Rock?
- If you head over to Lanier Islands, you'll find live music, foam parties, football on a 5-story high screen and two nights of fireworks.
- Stone Mountain Park celebrates the holiday with the Lasershow Spectacular in Mountainvision followed by a special fireworks display on all three nights, Saturday, September 2 through Monday, September 4.
- The Buford Corn Maze will open for its season Labor Day weekend. Enjoy their corn maze, hay rides, pony rides, the pumpkin patch and more.
- Spend Labor Day with the Gwinnett Braves as they take on the Durham Bulls. This is their final game of the season, so be sure to come cheer them on!
Enjoy your day off! Comment below, and tell us how you'll celebrate this Labor Day.