Atlanta Gladiators Q&A
If you're looking for something fun to do with family and friends, an Atlanta Gladiators game is the place to be.
The Atlanta Gladiators are a professional minor league ice hockey team, and iIf you've never been to a game, you're really missing out. I spoke to Waid Harbison, who works with the Gladiators, about what you can expect this season.
1. Tell me about this season’s promotions. Which ones are you most looking forward to?
"We have included a promotion for every home game this season.The promotions that we are most looking forward to are Star Wars Night, Marvel Superhero Night, and the French Bulldog Race (a first for us!)."
Here are some highlights from this season's promotions:
- Saturday, January 26th at 7:35 pm is our Star Wars night where fans can interact with their favorite Star Wars characters courtesy of the 501st Legion.
- Friday, February 8th at 7:35 pm we are having Flashback Friday where we will transition through past decades including the 60s, 70s, and 80s. There will be a blast from the past costume contest for fans who dress up!
- Friday, February 15th at 7:35 pm we are having our inaugural Zombie Night. Walking Dead and other Zombie movies will be the main focus
- Saturday, March 23rd at 7:35 pm we are hosting Marvel Super Hero Night where fans can meet Thor and Captain America. The team will also be wearing specialty Groot themed jerseys that fans can bid on. There will also be a $5 frenzy which will be a Gladiators hat.
- Wednesday, March 27th at 7:35 pm we will have our first ever French Bulldog race during intermission.
2. Who are some of this year’s must watch/ exciting players and why?
"Sean Bonar (#1) is one of our goaltenders, and he makes outstanding saves back to back to back! Bones is a team player, and even in games that he is not in net, he is on the bench encouraging his teammates.
Justin MacDonald (#7) is a forward. He spent some time on the disabled list, but that has not slowed down his scoring. On December 29, 2018, he scored a hat-trick which means that he scored three goals in one game.
Derek Nesbitt (#17) is a forward. Nesbitt has played 327 games with the Gladiators. He is a fan favorite as well as one of the team captains."
3. How would you describe an Atlanta Gladiators game to someone who’s never been?
"An Atlanta Gladiators game is affordable, family fun experience. People of all ages enjoy coming out to see the goals, hits, and fights."
4. Tell me a little bit about the Atlanta Gladiators Foundation, and why that’s important to the organization.
"This past year, we changed the name of the foundation from the 'Gladiators for Kids Foundation' to the 'Atlanta Gladiators Foundation'. Our mission is to help as many people in need in our community as possible. We raise funds for the Atlanta Gladiators Foundation through specialty jersey auctions, special events, in-game experiences, and much more. The foundation is important to our organization because it gives us the opportunity to give back to the community that we are in. We are able to give to those in need, and as a result, we are helping our community."
5. If you could name just one reason why people should attend a game, what would it be?
"One reason to attend an Atlanta Gladiators game would be to experience professional hockey in an affordable, fun, and family friendly atmosphere. Since Atlanta no longer has an NHL team, the Gladiators are a great option for families to come see and support their local sports team. The games are packed with action and entertainment from before puck drop until the sound of the final buzzer. Families love to come out and support their Atlanta Gladiators every single game."